07 October 2006

Mongol boots season

When I was in Mongolia two summers ago, I picked up a pair of Mongolian boots that look similar to the ones pictures below except that the ones I own are more plain. The boots are made of a durable leather with felt insides. There's a felt socklike lining that goes with the boot.
Mongolians wear them for everything -- riding horses, protection from the harsh winter cold and the tall grasses of summer. They're extremely warm and comfortable. I think I like them because they're so different from what I'm used to seeing.

(Did you know that the Star Wars costumes were in part inspired by traditional Mongolian dress? Other links: Production Notes, Mongolian influences in fashion, Traditional Mongolian Garb in Star Wars)

There some crazy people wearing some crazy shit in this city. And now, there are people out there who think I'm one of those crazy people.

With colder temperatures just around the corner, I've broken out the boots. I wore them running my typical Saturday morning errands-- dry cleaner, laundry, grocery, bank, etc.

For the most part, the public was tolerant and ignored me. Some were curious. Some stared. Some pointed amusedly. And then, there were some who were less friendly and did the trifecta: stare, point and laugh. (As an aside, I found it interesting that the trifecta tend to be younger women -- college or high school age -- in groups of two or more. Can a sociologist get back to me on this?)

Good thing I'm crazy (obviously) and dress only to please myself (also obvious -- just ask B), or else I don't think I could have worn the boots.

My favorite response was the Frenchman. "Eh, nice boots," he says with a heavy accent as he walks up alongside me.

I flash my cheshire cat grin. (This is my I'm-being-polite-because-when-I-don't-know-what-to-do-that's-what-I-do-best-but-why-are-you-talking-to-me-do-I-know-you smile, which is not to be confused with my wow-you're-supercool-and-I-want-to-hear-what-you've-been-up-to smile.) "Thanks, they're from Mongolia." I'm on the phone with WW and am wondering why he's talking to me, since I don't know him.

"You are Mongolian, then?" Still on the phone, I shook my head no.

"Korean?" At this point, we're standing at an intersection waiting for the light to change. I'm still on the phone with WW. I shook my head no.

"Japonais?"

I put my hand over the mouthpiece, "No, but nice try." I flash my teeth again.

He shrugs and gives a gallic, "Well, at least I tried." The light changes. He crosses the street.

5 comments:

  1. I was a lonely group of one that was pointing and laughing... How do you explain that???? :)

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking to buy a pair....Do they run small? Or true to size?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them? I can find them online but they are about $250-300. I am wanting to go to Mongolia this summer maybe and was thinking it may be cheaper there? Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They run a bit large and will be uncomfortable at first, but try to size half a size smaller. It'd be cheaper to get them in Mongolia, where I got mine, but you'll have to bargain for them.

    ReplyDelete