19 October 2006

A glutton for punishment

In 2003, JF and I promised ourselves we'd pick up a wintersport. We spent two weekends breaking our tailbones trying to snowboard. It was hella fun, and if I had stuck to it, I might have actually been able to link turns at some point, but it got warm and spring put an end to our masochism.

As you might be able to guess, JF is a better photographer than he is a snowboarder. This shot taken in March 2003 is a lazy man's picture; JF had fallen and was too tired to get up.

I wasn't aware that my picture was being taken, but I vividly recall that moment. That's no cool snowboard pose. We had been busting our butts on the bunnyslope for hours. I was wicked tired and scared that if I sat down, I wouldn't want to get up again. The board kept me standing.

(This picture is for you EB.)

Those two weekends, give or take a few disastrous attempts to learn to snowboard in slush or on ice, about sums up all the snowboarding I've since done. This year is looking to be a great snow year, so I am going to try the wintersport scene again, even if it means I take a week, head out to the mountains by mydelf, and subject myself to being black and blue on a daily basis.

It'll be great, I'm sure. Ok, I'm lying. I'm a glutton for punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment