10 December 2009

the menagerie at my parents' house

I'm at my parents home in Hong Kong, and I feel very much the tourist these days. When I lived in Hong Kong for three years before heading back to the States for college, my parents lived on Hong Kong Island, within easy access to the financial district, downtown and shopping. These days, they're located in the "countryside" (by HK standards) a good half hour from the hustle and bustle of a town center and at least an hour and a half (by buses and/or trains) from downtown and the financial district. The change in pace of life seems to agree with them and their pets.

Here's Mimi. She used to be the crankiest and vainest cat I knew, but now that she's gotten old, she doesn't spend as much time grooming herself. Instead, she suns herself during the day, and begs for table scraps during mealtimes. As she's aged, she's gotten smaller and smaller. I can now hold her tiny fluffy body in the palm of my hand.
From The Menagerie at My Parents' House


Swai Ge loosely translates to Handsome Guy in English. He's some shorthaired cat (I forget what kind of cat he is, but my mom's told me a million times), and he truly is a beautiful animal. He's lazy though and has gotten bit chunky in the middle since I last saw him. He has an engine-like purr, and is extremely affectionate, often seeking out people who'll pet him or scratch him under the chin. Don't let his friendliness fool you into trying to pick him up though. Swai Ge is scared of heights, and the second any of his paws leave the ground, he freaks. I have the scratch marks on my arms to prove it.
From The Menagerie at My Parents' House


Finally, here's Boby, my dad's favorite family member. My parents' neighbor found him as an abandoned puppy six years ago, and my parents adopted him. He's territorial and will bark at anyone that so much as walks in front of my parents' front gate, but he's a total scaredy cat. He's scared of Swai Ge, dogs that don't bark, and huskies. What he doesn't have in brawn, he makes up with smarts. He seems to understand anything my dad says to him, and when he feels like it, he'll listen. Alas, he's also a pervert. He'll hump the leg of any female (people) that walks through the gate despite lacking the balls to back it up.
From The Menagerie at My Parents' House

No comments:

Post a Comment