25 September 2006

To pee or not to pee

My sausage suit and I have a love hate relationship. Wearing it gave me an unwanted glimpse into life as a sausage. (Those poor poor sausages...) I didn't want to buy it, but the guys at the shop convinced me that I'd be glad I had it. They were right.

I've been using the suit for the past few weekends. It keeps me warm, makes me more buoyant so I don't have to swim as much, and I now have a bit more padding from the scratches and bruises I routinely get from numerous crash landings. Also, an abundance of rain the past few weeks has spawned a wave of killer mosquitos that are distant cousins to the killer rabbit. The hungry creatures have a frightening ability to sting through most things -- cotton cargo pants, tshirts, rash guards, and hoodies -- but have yet to penetrate my 2-3 mm wiener armor.

The rubber suit, however, is a complete nightmare to put on and take off. It's meant to be that way, the idea being that it traps a thin layer of water between you and the suit, thereby insulating you so less body heat is lost to the ocean. It truly works, but putting the suit on or taking it off is a workout.

So, what does one do when one has to pee?

EH says he just goes, as he normally would if he were in the ocean in his swim trunks. And, since it's trapped against his body and it's warm, it's quite nice.

WW and her friend M, who have both competed in triathalons, say, "Just go. It's the last thing you're thinking about when you're swimming out in the water."

I've yet to bring myself to do it. I have to think about it. I mean, forgive me for stating the obvious, but...isn't going in one's suit suspiciously close to urinating on one's self?

No comments:

Post a Comment