24 September 2006

75 in a 55

Damn. I got a ticket today. I've been driving for years, and it's a first. And no, this is not one of those firsts that ought to be celebrated, so put away the balloons.

Here's what happened: I was going 75 and the speed limit was 55, so by the letter of the law I was speeding. But, if I was actually going 55, it would have been disruptive to the traffic flow, as the Land Rovers and H3s around me were all going that fast. There were two cars in the lane to the right of me at my speed, a car in front of me going the same speed as me, and cars going faster than that to the left of me...so...was I speeding? Yeah, but so was everyone else. (If everyone was jumping off a cliff, would I do it? Everyone's jumping off a cliff? Cool! Where's the cliff?)

Officer, how come I got the ticket? I was moving just as fast as everyone else; I was just going with the flow of traffic.

The officer agreed that everyone on the LIE was speeding, but said that I was the car that he happened to point his laser at, so I'm the car that gets the ticket. He drove off after issuing the ticket, and 3 miles later, I saw that he had pulled another car over. Must be that quota filling time of the month. Or, the coffers are running a bit low.

AM said he got the same ticket and paid a total of 500.00, not to mention the points off his license and the additional cost to his insurance. I'm wondering how I should deal with this...

4 comments:

  1. Bummer all carbon. I hear its always worth it to fight tickets...but i've never tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write a letter. Explain the situation, you were driving with the speed of traffic, beg and plead... last time, they still made me pay the ticket, but they decreased the number from 20 over, to 5 over...thus leaving me with a much smaller ticket and fewer points.

    its worth a shot. you could drive out and fight it in court, but seriously, how much time and money is that gonna cost you?

    I'd go with the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I spoke to a few lawyers today and will decide who I'll retain tomorrow. I'm not concerned about the ticket, but more with the point deduction and the impact on my insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about a letter, but this county (?) doesn't plea bargain. It's either guilty or not guilty, so better a pro handle it. All the lawyers I spoke to today emphasized in some form or another that this county was particularly difficult and the success rates were on the low side (even with a lawyer) were on the low side, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete