21 September 2006

Don't let me shop on my own

I always buy the stupidest shit. I don't know why.


Last year, B had to talk me out the adorable Nanette Lepore coat pictured on the left because I was about to drop way too much cash for something so impractical. She approved the coat I ended up buying-- a charcoal wool-cashmere mandarin collar three quarters length affair. Tres boring.

My problem is that I don't often find things that I like that also fit me well. Nor do I particularly enjoy shopping. I shop out of neccessity or when I know exactly what I want, so when I do see something I actually like, I just want to buy it and get the hell out of the store.

Then again, it could be because I'm a moron. Come to think of it...it's likely that the latter's the case.

I trained with D on a gorgeous Sunday morning, and since it was so nice out, I walked across town afterwards. In addition to fashion week, that particular day was also Sept 11, so I walked by memorial services and some very thin good looking people.

I dropped by Niketown thinking it was time for me to get a new pair of cross trainers, but the Staff was prety lousy and condescending. (Uh, did someone say pretentious athletic-wear snob?) I didn't stick around for long.

Then, I stopped by Saks, where I naturally gravitated towards the skin care section. No major damage was done at the Keihl counter -- toner and sunblock. Then, disaster struck in the form of the La Mer counter.

Someone, please explain to me how anyone could think it's ok to pay $130.00 for 0.5 ounces of eye cream? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

In fact, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly happened at Saks. I obviously suffered from memory loss or brain damage while standing at the La Mer counter. Or, perhaps I was sucked into an alternative universe where it was perfectly normal to spend $130 on a thimble-full of eye cream. In fact, it was downright un-American not to. For the sake of the American way, apple pie and Norman Rockwell, I had to buy that eye cream. I mean, my life would have been absolutely meaningless unless I had that eye cream.

(Thankfully, I still had enough control over my mental facilities to refuse the siren call of the jar of face cream they offered me. God forbid -- I might have had to sell my car to afford that.)

Whatever happened during my lapse into insanity, I'm now using an eye cream that must have magical properties. Maybe I'll get smarter (like Franu's special comb), win the lottery or discover the solution to world peace. At the price people are willing to pay for this, it'd better do something besides...moisturize.

On a slightly more practical note, while I was at Saks, I also picked up something supersoft and comfy. It looks a little silly, but I like how easy it's to wear; like a bathrobe. My internal thermostat runs on the warm side, so the silk-cashmere blend is light yet warm enough for me to wear this fall.

1 comment:

  1. Very happy to know that I'm not the only one who goes retarded at the skincare counters...

    ReplyDelete