05 August 2006

I'm not Dorothy, so stop calling me!

For over a year, I've been getting messages from a 310 area code number for Dorothy. They weren't just occasional voicemails that said, "Hi, haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is well." They were voicemails that gave me the impression that 310 lady saw Dorothy on a regular basis.

It started off relatively straightforward,
"Hi Dorothy, I'm so glad you just moved here. Give me a call when you have a chance and let's get together."

Then, on a weekly basis:

"Hi Dorothy, I just got back to my apartment and am on my way to meet you. I'll see you in a few minutes."

"Dorothy, I got your message. I'm going to try you at the other phone number."

"Dorothy, I'm going to be a few minutes late. See you soon."

Since they were voicemails, I just deleted them but did nothing. I did wonder, however, why Dorothy and 310 lady never once had a "did-you-get-my-message" conversation. It would have been very clear at the point that, Dorothy did not get the message because 310 lady doesn't have Dorothy's cell number.

Lucky for me, 310 lady called on Thursday afternoon and I picked up. The conversation went like this:

"Dorothy..."

"No! I'm not Dorothy, but I'm so glad you called!"
Maybe I scared her. I was really excited to hear from her.

"Dorothy?" Or, maybe I just confused her. She doesn't seem particularly bright.

"No, this isn't Dorothy's phone number. You've been calling my phone for the past year, leaving messages for Dorothy, but this isn't Dorothy's phone number. I've been getting those messages. Could you please stop calling me?" I hope she never calls me again.

"Uh, oh... Okay. Bye." Yessss!

Two minutes later, 310 lady calls again and almost immediately hangs up. I was so excited. No more messages for Dorothy! Until this morning (I'm still on Saturday), when 310 lady calls again.

"Dorothy?"

"No, this isn't Dorothy. Please stop calling me!"

She hangs up on me. This time, I call her back and leave her a voicemail, "Hi, this is 917-xxx-xxxx. For the past year, you've been leaving voice messages for Dorothy at this number. I'm so glad that we spoke in person the other day, because I just wanted to let you know that this is not Dorothy's cell phone. I don't know Dorothy, and I don't know her cell phone number, but could you please delete my number from your phone and find out from Dorothy what her real cell number is the next time you see her. Thanks!"

Ah, nothing like a good day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment