12 August 2006

Exhausted by clean clothes

Laundry in my building can hardly be called laundry. To give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about, first know that my building has six floors with 6 units per floor. We have 3 washers and 2 dryers from the 1970s in the basement. Usually some combination of the 5 machines isn't working. Ok, you do the math.

Since there are so few working machines, doing laundry can be an adventure. I like washing clothes late Friday nights, around or after midnight; by then, everyone has either left town for the weekend or gone out for the night. I started laundry last Friday around 12:30, and to my surprise, two washers and both dryers were in use. I take the last washer, but realize it's broken when I return 30 minutes later and my clothes are still sopping wet. I can't tell if the machine actually washed my clothes or not and the other washers were now free, so I rewash everything.

At 1:30, I return to find that both dryers were still in use. I open one of the dryers and check the clothes -- as I suspected, the dryers are broken. They are only blowing cold air. No wonder the dryer's been running for hours at this point.

I give up. I take my wet clothes up to my apartment where I proceed to hang them off every available surfance. On doors, on hangers, on my drying rack, on the radiators... I turn on the A/C and go to sleep. It's 3am. Laundry can be exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment