02 January 2009

Lifetime TV

Pooks was unable to make it back from Long Island in time to meet me for dinner tonight. Without the added incentive of having to meet someone for food, it was far too cold out for me to motivate to join friends in Brooklyn or Queens for drinks, etc.

Instead, I cleaned the bathroom, swept and mopped the bathroom, kitchen and my bedroom floors, made crabcakes and steamed asparagus for dinner, and baked banana blueberry muffins from scratch. All while I polished off a ginormous bag of Hershey's kisses (B, I hate you for leaving them with me.) and watching Lifetime TV.

I don't get Lifetime TV. So far tonight, I've watched two movies about high school girls that are social outcasts due to their size. By the end of the movie, the overweight girls have managed to overcome adversity so that their peers see them for their true selves and not their fat. Yet, during the commercial breaks, Lifetime runs ads for a new reality show about a group of overweight women that dislike being overweight and will have a personal trainer who'll work with them to lose weight.

First, why is Lifetime TV so obsessed with fat women? Second, the movies are all centered around the idea that fat people should be liked for who they are, not the way they look. Yet, Lifetime will be premiering a reality show that says otherwise.

Methinks Lifetime is a bit too judgemental about other people's weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment