10 January 2009

I have no running water

The water main on my block is broken. Copious amounts of water is gushing from fire hydrants down the street. Men with powerful lights and big machinery are desperately trying to find the source of the break. They've dug a ginormous and jagged hole in the middle of the street right in front of my apartment building.

It is freezingly cold in NYC. I have no running water or heat (we are radiator heated).

I'm reminded that I'm lucky to have the priviledges and amenities that I do have, because in some places, people must walk hours just to haul a bucket of water back to their homes. I too often take modern conveniences like running water, electricity and the internet for granted.

Ok, off to the corner bodega to buy a few gallons of water so I can flush my toilet, have water to drink and brush my teeth. I have a date tonight, and who knows when the water will be back on? Perhaps we can block off the water spilling onto the street and make an ice skating rink!

No comments:

Post a Comment