10 July 2007

Well, at least he's honest

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/10/reluctant.juror.ap/index.html

A Cape Cod man who claimed he was homophobic, racist and a habitual liar to avoid jury duty earned an angry rebuke from a judge on Monday, who referred the case to prosecutors for possible charges.

On a questionnaire that all potential jurors fill out, [Daniel] Ellis wrote that he didn't like homosexuals and blacks. He then echoed those sentiments in an interview with [Judge Gary] Nickerson.

"You say on your form that you're not a fan of homosexuals," Nickerson said.

"That I'm a racist," Ellis interrupted.

"I'm frequently found to be a liar, too. I can't really help it," Ellis added.

"I'm sorry?" Nickerson said.

"I said I'm frequently found to be a liar," Ellis replied.

"So, are you lying to me now?" Nickerson asked.

"Well, I don't know. I might be," was the response.

"I have the distinct impression that you're intentionally trying to avoid jury service," Nickerson said.

"That's true," Ellis answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment