10 June 2007

What kind of finale is that?

I stopped watching the Sopranos a few seasons ago. No, it wasn't because I couldn't hack the gratuitous violence or nudity. That was the interesting part. I couldn't take the drama. It felt forced. Everything was drawn out and way too melodramatic for my taste. So, I quit the show.


I watched the finale of the Sopranos (talk about melodramatic, the show's finale's been drawn out for years), and it was surprisingly good. I was engaged. I could buy into it (even the part where AJ's SUV catches on fire). I loved the addition of the orange tabby to the cast. I thought, hey, maybe I made a huge mistake not having watched this show for the past 2 years. It's good!


Then, we get to the final scene. I was digging it for reals. Journey's Don't Stop Believin' was an ironic and perfect juxtoposition to the Soprano family dinner, especially given Meadow's earlier conversation with Tony, AJ's identity crisis and warped sense of entitlement and lack of work ethic.. I was starting to wonder who was going to be the one to off the family, and...


Say what? That did not just happen. Wow.

Was it brilliant and artistic? Probably. Was it fucking annoying? Most definitely. To quote Tony Soprano, "I'm a little miffled, but..."

'Sopranos' finale: Do not attempt to adjust your set

1 comment:

  1. i have hated this overrated overhyped overly melo-dramatic, overly violent, misogynistic show for years.

    yet, i watch. and i watched the finale. and I hated it. what a spineless way to end the series David Chase. you had to kill tony...

    unless of course, you want to make a movie a year or two from now and make some more money on the story. yeah, thats probably it...

    ReplyDelete