23 October 2009

The Chapin Mesa and Mesa Top Loop at Mesa Verde

After lunch, I headed over to Mesa Verde National Park.  Since it was closing in on 3, I decided to drive the scenic drive and take a self-guided tour of the Far View Sites and Mesa Top Loop.  My initial plan was to camp in the park, but its only campsite closed last weekend.  I'm staying in Cortez for the night, and I'll return to Mesa Verde (a 15 minute drive) tomorrow to take a ranger guided tour of one of the residences and to walk the park a bit.


There's something about the sun.  Even though it was 49-51 degrees on the Mesa Top Loop (7000 ft), it made me so happy to be outside.  I didn't even mind driving, which I try not to do these days when I don't have to.  It was still chilly and windy, so it was a good day to drive too.  The sky was bright blue, and on a clear day, one can see Utah, New Mexico, Nevada and Arizona from Park Point (8572 ft).  The Wilson, San Juan and Sangre de Cristo are all visible then.



From Chapin Mesa and Mesa Top Loop
From Chapin Mesa and Mesa Top Loop
From Chapin Mesa and Mesa Top Loop

The Mesa Top Loop had a lot of stops with ruins.  I had always learned that the Anasazi up and left their settlements with no trace.  It turns out, the Puebloans are the descendants of the Anasazi.  It shows how little I know.

From Chapin Mesa and Mesa Top Loop
From Chapin Mesa and Mesa Top Loop


While on the Mesa Top Loop, I kept running into two retired couples.  Eventually, they joked that I should just get in the car with them.  It turns out one of the men is from Greer, SC and knew the neighborhood where I grew up.  He and his wife live in Albuquerque, NM now.  The other couple is visiting them from Georgia.  They wanted to know what was on top of my car, and why I was so far from New York.  Retired folks seemed to really like me today.

From Chapin Mesa and Mesa Top Loop


I left the park as the sun was setting over its peaks.

From Chapin Mesa and Mesa Top Loop


Today was a good day.  It's the first time since M left that I've started to feel my grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment