24 February 2009

in other words, my dog would be a cat

Who knew that dogsitting was a life lesson?

From 2009 0221 Dogsitting Chloe

I dog sat Doggie Chloe while her mommie was on vacation. I loved having a dog in the apartment again, but when Mocha has stayed with us, B's always been the one to take care of here. After a week of dogsitting, this is what I now know:

1. A dog's personality is a reflection of her owner's personality. Chloe reminds me so much of her owner. Chloe is sweet, affectionate, neurotic and lacks discipline.

2. I am not ready for responsibility. My entire weekend was planned around Chloe's walking, bathroom and feeding schedule. When I went out on Friday and Saturday nights, I'd walk her before I left at 9pm, and when I returned at 2 or 3am, I'd walk her again. I'd then get up at 8am and walk her again.

3. Dogs are messy. Chloe is 9 years old and incontinent, especially when she's excited. There were times when I was petting her and I'd notice a pool of yellow streaming out from underneath her while she tried to snuggle closer so I could pet her more. I spent a lot of time cleaning up dog pee and mopping my floors. Chloe peed in my room, on the living room rug and on the kitchen floor.

4. Dogs are cute. I wore my Puff Rider jacket every time I walked the dog, and after a while, Chloe came to associate the jacket as play time. After we got in from an AM walk, I put my jacket on the arm of the counch and went to fill Chloe's food and water bowls. When I returned turned around, I noticed Chloe had moved my jacket. She was sitting on the couch with the jacket piled into a comfy dog bed under her. She cocked her head to one side and looked at me as if to say, what? It's comfortable!

5. If dogs' personalities are a reflection of their owner's, I'm scared to know what sort of personality a dog of mine would have. It'd be some bizarre combination of anal retentive persnickitiness and mellowness. It would need tons of personal space and only want affection when it wanted it. The rest of the time, it'd lay around and sleep a lot. In other words, my dog would be a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment