04 February 2008

My first night in Bonaire, and I learn that it ain't over until it's over.

(The first picture is the view to the left of my front porch, and the second picture is the view of the small beach across the street from my apartment. For more pictures of my time in Bonaire, click here.)

I arrived in Bonaire early Sunday morning, having taken the red eye from NYC late Saturday night. I spent most of my day running errands -- rental car, groceries, and settling in. I had planned on going for a run, but by the time I had taken care of necessities, I was bushed.

I woke in the dark (since Bonaire is so close to the equator, sunset is usually around 6) and disoriented. When I realized it was already 8pm, I hopped in the car and headed to town. My apartment didn't have a television, and the Superbowl had already started! Lee's was airing the game, and I joined the throng of scuba divers from the sunbelt and midwest and the local med students from NJ and LI (Bonaire has two medical schools, St James and Xavier).

1. Why would an island the size of Bonaire have two medical schools?
2. Why would Americans come here for med school instead of going to med school state side? And, how come it only takes med students a year to finish a program in Bonaire when I have friends that take several years to finish med school in the US?
3. Should I worry about where my doctors went to school?

Lee's was awesome. During commercials, the bartender would jump up on the bar and sing and dance. Not in the Coyote Ugly sort of way (because that's not too awesome), but in the Elvis sort of the way (pretty awesome). I have no idea who Lee is, but even Bonaire had its very own halftime show!

At 2.5 minutes left to the end of the game, I decide to call it a night. I was still tired, and I was a little cranky that the Giants weren't going to win the superbowl. My apartment was a good 20 minutes away, and I had an early windsurfing day ahead of me.

Of course it never occurred to me that Eli Manning and Plaxico Burress would save the game, and it was just my luck that almost immediately after I left, Plaxico Burress scored New York's winning touch down with only 35 seconds to go. Naturally, I read about it online once I got back to my apartment. Go figure.

It just goes to show, the game ain't over until it's over. I wish I was in NYC for the celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment