23 January 2007

Is it supposed to mean something?

I had a vivid dream today:

I am at work. I open my desk drawer to see a ziplock bag containing snacks. (I use ziplock bags for everything. Can't imagine life without ziplock bags, duct tape, headlamps or Nalgenes.)

I don't know how I know this, but in my dream, I know that the ziplock has been in my desk drawer for a few days. Trapped inside the bag is a big fat black bumblebee. Not your typical yellow and black bumblebee, but a big, fat, deep black, velvety bee without a trace of color to be found. It's still alive, buzzing about. I experience a moment of distress, panic and concern as I hurry to let it free, upset with myself for having accidentally closed it in a bag, glad that it's managed to stay alive. I hope that I can free it without hurting it and before it suffocates.

The black bee flies out of the ziplock without harm, lands on the floor of my office cubicle. It becomes a large bird that stands on the floor with its back to me. In my mind's eye, I know that the bird is an eagle, much like the picture of the female golden eagle you see in this post. I have no idea how I know what kind of bird it is since the only eagle I can definitively identify is bald. Yet while the bird before me lacks the bald eagle's distinctive markings, I know that the hulking, hunch backed, slope shouldered animal with the molting mix of light brown and white feathers is an eagle. Go figure.

Not at all surprised to have an eagle sitting on the floor in front of me -- at my office nonetheless -- my first thought is that the bird might be weak from being trapped in a ziplock bag for days. I need to feed it. I hurriedly break up some crackers that I have on hand. (Strange, since I don't really like crackers, and even if I did, I wouldn't keep them at my desk.) I throw them on the ground next to the bird. It eats. (I'm no rocket scientest, but I'm fairly certain that meat-eating birds are carb adverse. Then again, nothing in my dream has surprised me yet, so why would a cracker eating eagle be any different?)

I wake.

Dude, how weird is that dream? Even more strange is how clear and real it felt. Dude.

3 comments:

  1. This is what I think: it is a stress related dream. You are sitting at work, busy no doubt, and you find something in your desk. It is stress related because you should know what's in your desk. maybe your desk is your vagina, i don't know what goes on in your head, but generally speaking, the desk is self representing. Anyhoot you find something that you should have found much earlier...I mean how could you miss the bee in the zip lock bag all this time? So you not only are you stressed that there is something alive in your desk, but you're stressed that you've some how overlooked it. But you free it, feed it, and move on. Plus it gets better, the bee turns into a bird. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come no one else has written in about your dream?! Where is everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, very strange dream. but in a more positive interpretation: maybe the black bee is the small ball of stress, but once you accept/finish waht you need to do, you let the stress go and the outcome is something as majestic as a bold eagle. nice picture by the way: although your description of the "molting mix of light brown and white feathers" was great! you should write a novel. :)

    maybe your dream wants you to release something in your inner being, something more creative... e.g. it was way too long since you last put an entry in your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete